Why does my AirPods sound Muffled? – If you have a similar query, follow the step-by-step DIY guide below for a guaranteed fix!
A cup of strong coffee with beautiful music will blow away the cobwebs. Most people prefer to put on earplugs to avoid disturbances from their surroundings or they don’t want to disturb others. When you think of earphones or earplugs again there is a specification- it is great if it is wireless and provides excellent audio output. There are many brands that are releasing these types of products at lightning speed. But which is the best? It depends on different factors like your budget, the requirements you are looking to get in that, and the availability of the product and its service.
Also Check: Why are my AirPods so Quiet? – Fixes
Apple Inc. launched its AirPods which are wireless Bluetooth earphones in the year 2016. It creates a magical connection with your device. They come in four product ranges: AirPods 2nd generation, AirPods 3rd generation, AirPods Pro, and AirPods Max. All vary in some features. But one thing is common to all and that is the extraordinary audio output. They create a magical world around you with the spatial audio, adaptive EQ, dynamic head tracking, and the capacity to mute the breeze when you put on these AirPods. It has become a fashion icon that most people dream of owning.
What do you feel when there is a change in the sound quality of these Airpods or if the sound from your AirPods gets muffled suddenly while you are beating the drum with your AirPods ON? The very next thought you get is “Why do my AirPods sound muffled?”. There is nothing to worry about. Here are a few common problems leading to the muffled sound of your AirPods and the ways to fix them.
Why does my AirPods sound muffled? Common causes and the ways to fix them
There might be many reasons that cause the AirPods not to give the proper sound output. Some issues are common and the solutions seem to be quite simple. Let’s have a look at such issues.
1. Your AirPods might be Dusty or Stuffed with your Earwax:
One of the common causes of this issue is the accumulation of dirt or the ear wax when you put on the AirPods. It is a good practice to clean your AirPods on a regular basis. If the dust or the dirt accumulates on the speakers of your AirPods, it will drastically reduce the audio quality of it. Besides, cleaning will increase the life of your AirPods.
If the dirt or the dust is the cause for your concern, then how to clean it? As it is an electronic device, you have to do it carefully. Follow the below steps to do it.
- Use a Microfiber cloth to clean the outer surface of your AirPods. This can be done every day after use. This will avoid the dust from entering the speakers to some extent.
- After the outer part is cleaned, then use the below tools to clean the speaker ports properly without damaging the speakers.
- Paper towel
- Rubbing Alcohol or Screen cleaner
- Microfiber Cloth
- Compressed air or small Air pump (optional)
- Apply the rubbing alcohol to the area where the dirt has accumulated with the help of a Q-tip and leave it for some time. This will soften the wax and the dirt which will be easy for you to remove.
- Use the toothpick to remove the dirt that has built up. Then use a paper towel to wipe it.
- Wipe it thoroughly again with the microfiber cloth to remove the dirt completely. You can add some alcohol to the cloth for better cleaning.
- You can use the Compressed Air to remove the smallest particles from the dark mesh grill of the speakers from where the sound comes out.
- Let them dry thoroughly. Repeat the process for the other earbud.
- Last but not least, cleaning up the charging case is important as well, as this is also more likely to attract the gunks and the dust from its surroundings. Wipe the outer part with a microfiber cloth and use alcohol to remove the greasy dirt.
Your AirPods are now clean and clear as the brand new ones.
Also Read: How-to make AirPods louder on all devices
2. Unstable Bluetooth Connection:
As the AirPods purely work on a Bluetooth connection, it is very important to maintain a stable Bluetooth connection between your AirPods and your smartphone. So, if you have a bad connection, then it will definitely make the sound of your AirPods muffled. To get the proper sound, you must keep your Bluetooth connection 100% functional. To ensure this, follow the below steps.
- Disable the Bluetooth in nearby devices. As almost every device at home has a default Bluetooth connection, there may be an interference problem. Hence, it is better to disable the Bluetooth in the devices which are not of your interest at that particular moment. If the problem persists, follow the next step.
- Sometimes there is some unknown problem with the Bluetooth connection. Just Disable and Re-enable the Bluetooth to set the proper connection by toggling the Bluetooth option in your device with a gap of a few seconds.
3. Reset your AirPods:
It seems to be better to restart your AirPods to come out of the muffled sound problem if the above solutions won’t work for you. This will reset their factory settings. Follow the below steps to do it.
- Press and hold the Setup Button for about 15 seconds to restart the AirPods. Hold it until the flashing light gets settled.
- Pair with the device you want to connect with the AirPods.
4. Software not updated:
If you are serious about using your device properly, make sure you keep updating its software regularly. iPhones are no exceptions. If you are connecting your AirPods with the iPhone/iPad/Mac/iMac and you want it to function as it’s supposed to, then keep it up-to-date.
To update the software, follow the below steps.
- Open “Settings” App
- Tap on “General” and then on “Software Update”
- Check for any updates due. And tap on “Update” if you have one.
5. Hardware Damage:
The reason for the significant reduction in volume or distorted sound from your AirPods maybe some kind of damage to the hardware of it. It can be either the water or your sweat or some moisture that has entered your AirPods or some heat that has caused the damage to it. This will make the device not function in the way it is expected to.
If water or sweat entered your AirPods, then you can try with a dryer to dry out the entered moisture. But sadly, that’s not the guaranteed solution. In this case, you can ask for a replacement if you are still in the warranty period.
Also Read: Fix “AirPods not playing sound”
What if the Muffled sound is still troubling you?
Everyone wants to get the solutions in a jiffy as one can’t afford the time to get simply wasted. If none of the above-mentioned solutions can fix the problem of muffled sound from your AirPods, then there might be a serious issue with it. You can seek a professional’s advice to get it corrected or you can visit Apple Support to avail of online service or can visit an Apple store nearby for the troubleshooting. If you are fortunate enough to be in the warranty period, definitely you will get those AirPods replaced.
Take-Home Message: How to Fix AirPods Muffled Sound
Precaution is always better than cure. The only plant that you water regularly will reward you with its delicious fruits. Same way, if you expect better performance from the product, then don’t forget to maintain it properly. Do the cleaning regularly, keep the software up-to-date and avoid it getting damaged in any way. Handle your AirPods safely to enjoy it fully.